FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).
Food Hazards

If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic plant, determine the type of plant, and amount consumed, and contact your veterinarian or Poison control.

The Animal Poison Control Center is a unique, emergency hotline providing 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week telephone  assistance to veterinarians and animal owners. There is a $50 consultation fee paid by the animal owner, veterinarian or product manufacturer.

(888) 426-4435

 

 

 

 

Other Household substances toxic to Cats  

Acetaminophen
Ant Bait
Antifreeze
Aspirin
Bleach
Boric Acid
Brake Fluid
Chocolate
Cleaning Products
Deodorizers
Deodorants
Detergents
Disinfecting Compounds
Fabric Dye
Floor Cleaners
Furniture Polish
Fungicide
Gasoline
Insecticide
Laxatives
Metal Polish
Mineral Spirits
Moth Balls
Motor Oil
Nail Polish
Nail Polish Remover
Photographic Developer
PineSol (anything containing "phenol")
PeptoBismol
Rodent Bait
Rubbing Alcohol
Shoe Polish
Snail & Slug Bait
Suntan Lotion
Tar
Tylenol
Weed Killer
Windshield Washer Fluid
Wood Preservatives

 

 The lists contained on this web page are by no means all-conclusive. Check with you veterinarian for more information about plants and substances that are harmful to cats.

*these lists were compiled by L. D. Hawke, H. Spear, and E. Knight, who would like to thank all the contributors to many lists on the many websites from which these lists were gathered

 

461 Patriots Road, Rte 2A

Templeton Common

Templeton, Ma 01468 Telephone: 978.939.9348
FAX: 978.939.2048
E-mail: nygardvetclinic@comcast.net

 

 

Food Hazards

 

What NOT to feed your pet!

 

hungry puppy

 

CHOCOLATE:

There has been a lot of articles in the news about the lethal effects of chocolate recently and here’s why! Chocolate contains theobromine. Theobromine is a similar compound to caffeine and stimulates the heart and nervous system. In dogs it can poison them with death occurring from heart failure. Cats may not metabolise chocolate in the same way as dogs but are also thought to be at risk.

Plain and dark chocolate contains more theobromine and therefore is more dangerous than milk chocolate if your dog or cat ingests it. Theobromine stays in the dogs system for a long time, this means that chocolate poisoning can even occur if small amounts of chocolate are fed repeatedly. Also remember that cocoa powder, baking chocolate and other foods contain theobromine. In the November 2003 Issue of Dogs Today they also pointed out that Cocoa mulch (sold in garden centres) smells delicious to dogs but is highly toxic.

Dog chocolate has had the theobromine removed. However, if it contains milk (see below) and sugar then it is probably best you avoid this as well, especially if your dog is already overweight!

 

dog's helping

COWS MILK:

‘Cats and dogs along with most other mammals lose, to a variable extent, their ability to digest lactose (milk sugar) with age, because the activity of the enzyme lactase declines with age’ Source ‘Manual of Companion Animal Nutrition and Feeding’ by BSAVA (British Small Animal Veterinary Association). Lactose cannot be broken down without the enzyme lactase. Cats and dogs which are lactose intolerant may suffer from diarrhoea and/or flatulence when fed milk.

 

RAISINS AND GRAPES:

The ASCPA (Animal Poison Control Centre in the USA) has recently published information stating the toxicity of raisins and grapes in dogs (they do not know how they affect cats yet, but advise to avoid feeding them anyway). Eating just a handful of raisins and grapes has been shown to cause kidney failure. They do not know why as yet but it might be due to a pesticide sprayed on the grapes or perhaps a type of mould found on the skin of grapes and raisins.

 

FATTY MEAT SCRAPS:kitty

Most dogs and cats will get a bit of Christmas dinner this year, however bear in mind that if it is more than the occasional scrap, very fatty foods may lead to problems such as pancreatitis. The pancreas releases enzymes to help digest the food. Pancreatitis is a very painful inflammatory condition associated with the ingestion of fatty foods.

 

FRUIT AND VEGGIES:

Green vegetables are a great way of boosting your dogs immune system, you can feed these raw or cooked. You could even try a piece of raw carrot as a healthy treat. Vegetables are probably better for dogs than fruit. Some fruits are quite acidic (as well as sugary) and may not be good for dogs with skin or digestive complaints.

Remember, everything in moderation! You do not want to be clearing up diarrhea due to too much Christmas pudding!

philo

HOUSEPLANTS:

 Many Houseplants are poisonous to pets.    Its best to watch all pets around plants, whether inside with your houseplants, or outside in the garden.   Cats (as well as puppies and kittens)  tend to chew most greenery they encounter, so please make sure your Amaryllis and Lily's are out of reach.   Lilies are especially toxic to cats, they can cause kidney failure.  Holly and Ivy are also extremely toxic to cats. Please see a complete list here.